[olympiad 2nd part] 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th tasks

[olympiad 2nd part] 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th tasks

Nosūtīja Alens Silvestrs Aizupietis
Atbilžu skaits: 17

[4th task last blank space "These"] The correct input should also be "There".

Before the blank space the concept of green spaces is being narrated in such way that the blank can contain both "These [are]" and "There [are]".

> "Green space [...] is experiencing a revival";

> this sentence ends, new sentence starts.

> "There are small green areas, parks or green islands created by taking up some space from the streets. " OR "These are small green areas, parks or green islands created by taking up some space from the streets. "

Both options fulfil the meaning of the sentence.

[5th task "be there in moments"] The correct input should be "be there in a moment's notice" or the task should be annulled.

"be there in moments" is not a valid phrase as no examples of such phrase can be found anywhere.

(see https://ludwig.guru/s/be+there+in+moments for text samples containing such phrase - there practically doesnt exist such text)

However, the phrase "be there in a moment's notice" is both comprehendable and viable for use in this task as all conditions are met, not counting the existence of the apostrophe.

[9th task "There is a lot of concern"] The correct input should be "There is concern to them"

Since one of the conditions for completing the task is to rewrite the given sentence while retaining its meaning, it is crucial to include in the sentence to whom it is concerning, thus it is important for the sentence to contain "to them". If this condition is not met, the task should not count as succesfully completed.

Moreover, the Oxford Languages defines "concern" as "anxiety; worry", which means that the answers "There is concern" and "There is a lot of concern", as well as the inclusion of similair adverbs (e.g., big concern; great concern, troubling concern etc.) would not impact the fact that the sentence retains the similar meaning.

[10th task "There is Some concern about"] The correct input should be "There is quite the concern to us about"

This task has a lot of common ground with the 9th task.

It should be a necessity to include to whom it is a concern (in this case, it is a concern "to us"). If that is not done, then an essential part of information is lost and the 2 sentences are not interchangable. 

In this case the word "quite" is transferable from one sentence to another, so it only makes sense for the inlcusion of it to be a requirement.

[14th task "On no account can you"] The correct input should also be "On no account should you"

According to ludwig.guru (see https://ludwig.guru/s/on+no+account+should+you), the phrase "on no account should you" is also an acceptable option used in the English language. Since both phrases are interchangeable, same should apply to this task.

[15th task "Despite all her problems"] The clause can end with a comma; the correct input should also be "Despite having lots of problems, "

Introductory clauses are always separated with a comma, but if the clause is short enough, the comma can be ommited for stylistic purpoises

(see https://www.grammarly.com/blog/commas-after-introductory-clauses/).

Since the main clause of the sentence already contains the word "her", the introductory clause does not require the use of the pronoun, thus validating "Despite having lots of problems, " as a correct input. 

[17th task "We are very grateful for all"] the correct input should also be "We are grateful for"

Although the supposedly correct input does show more respect and gratefullness than the newly proposed one, the Oxford Languages define "grateful" as "feeling or showing an appreciation for something done or received", thus the inlcusion of this word without additional "ornamental words" is enough for the sentence to express gratitude and fulfill the necessary conditions.

According to ludwig.guru (see https://ludwig.guru/s/grateful+for+your+work) The sentence "We are grateful for your work." is valid without the inclusion of the word "all".

[19th task "It is recommended that you visit"] the correct input should also be "It is recommended to visit"

Since the second clause of the sentence already contains the pronoun "you", this pronoun can be ommited in the first one, thus validating "It is recommended to visit" as a correct input.

[20th task "It was as clear as mud"] The correct input should be "It was as clear as mud to me"

It should be a necessity to include to whom it "was as clear as mud" (in this case, it is as clear as mud "to me"). If that is not done, then an essential part of information is lost and the 2 sentences are not interchangable.

[23rd task "ring a bell"] The correct input should also be "ring a bell to you"

A language forum (see https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/does-it-ring-a-bell-with-you.28625/) suggests that English-speaking people use both "ring a bell", "ring a bell to someone", and "ring a bell with someone" interchangeably, hence all 3 options should be accepted.

[24th task " wish I hadn’t gone to"] "hadn’t" contains an unusual apostrophe

Many people type on their computers with ----> ' <---- as the apostrophe. because of this, many students did not have their otherwise correct input accepted in this task.

[26th task statement 1 "NOT GIVEN"] The correct answer should be "FALSE"

Information is in fact given.

The statement in question was "NHS warns against issuing antidepressants to adolescents under 18 for anxiety and depression".

The first statement contradicts with the contents of the first paragraph: "Health service guidance says that they [antidepressants] should be offered to under-18s only in cases of moderate or severe depression alongside talking therapies."

> The 1st statement states that NHS warns against issuing antidepressants to under-18s

> The text states that NHS recommends issuing antidepressants to under-18s only on the condition of having moderate or severe mental issues.

Since the 1st statement contradicts with the given text (the NHS is not against the use of antidepressants, but instead is against the use of it only when the need for such drugs is not dire),  the statement is "FALSE".

[26th task statement 4 "NOT GIVEN"] The correct answer should be "FALSE"

Information is in fact given.

The statement in question was " Antidepressants can replace talking therapies when anxiety or depression is severe."

The first statement contradicts with the contents of the first paragraph: "Health service guidance says that they [antidepressants] should be offered to under-18s only in cases of moderate or severe depression alongside talking therapies."

Since antidepressants should only be prescribed alongside talking therapies, it can be deducted that antidepressants should not be prescribed without talking therapies, or, to rephrase, antidepressants cannot replace talking therapies when anxiety or depression is severe.

> The 4th statement states that antidepressants can replace talking therapies when anxiety or depression is severe

> The text states that antidepressants cannot replace talking therapies when anxiety or depression is severe

For this reason the 4th statement is "FALSE".

Atbildot uz Alens Silvestrs Aizupietis

Atbilde: [olympiad 2nd part] 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th tasks

Nosūtīja Roberta Borisova
Hello!

I would argue that you can't substitute "these" with "there" in the 4th task. The meaning changes in the two:
- "these" makes the sentence an explanation for the previous one,
- "there" is a word that makes the sentence make less sense in the context - a sentence starting with this word would indicate that there are also "green spaces", implying that they are somehow different from "small green areas, parks or green islands"

Although I see your point, I think it makes more sense stylistically to use "these", to build a sentence that explains the previous one.
Atbildot uz Roberta Borisova

Atbilde: [olympiad 2nd part] 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th tasks

Hello!

I do agree that with "these" the sentence "connects" to the previous sentence, signifying that the previously mentioned green spaces manifest as small green areas, parks or green islands; however, going by this logic, using "There" to start the sentence also works as a way to present the different ways of them appearing in urban environments.

"Green spaces have begun returning to the city" => "[for example], there are small green areas, parks or green islands created by taking up some space from the streets."

For this reason I do not agree with your statement that starting the sentence with "There" would imply that "green spaces" are somehow different from "small green areas, parks or green islands"

Nosūtīja Linda Keita Trepša
While I do agree with almost all of the points that you have just made, I can argue that statement 1 in task 26th is correct. The statement that we are asked to identify as TRUE, FALSE or NOT GIVEN is as follows:
"NHS warns against issuing antidepressants to adolescents under 18 for anxiety and depression"
This is referencing this bit of text: "Health service guidance says that they [antidepressants] should be offered to under-18s only in cases of moderate or severe depression alongside talking therapies."

While it is true that the text says that there are valid reasons and occasions where teens and adolescents might be given antidepressents, they are focusing solely on depression. While it may be true, that often one of these mental disorders is accompanied by the other, you cannot refer to them both as just "depression" or just "anxiety". From this, we can conclude that the original text pertains only to the topic of depression and does not mention anxiety or ways to treat it when the patients in question are under the age of 18, marking the statement as NOT GIVEN. If the statement had only mentioned depression then it would be FALSE.

But please feel free to correct me
Atbildot uz Linda Keita Trepša

Hello, Lida!

I apreciate your response, however, I unfortunately have to disagree with you.

If given the statement that "NHS warns against A and B"
but the text contains "NHS warns against A"
The statement must be FALSE instead of NOT GIVEN because information is in fact given, just not true.

If we follow your train of thought, It is FALSE that NHS warns against A and B, because NHS only warns against A

I believe that if we were so scrupulous about each statement, then many could be counted as NOT GIVEN (and honeslty, that's why I hate it when tasks include this option :D )

If I got your point wrong, please correct me

Nosūtīja Linda Keita Trepša
I took it as more of an "NHS warns against B" but the text says "NHS warns against A". Because both anxiety and depression can be lumped under an umbrella term, which would be mental illness or mental disorder, it can be viewed as a singular subject rather than two separate ones.
However, I do agree that this can be said about most of the statements.

Nosūtīja Nauris Prikšāns
I wrote "be there on a moment's notice" in task 5 as well. However, I later realised that this answer is not correct, for the word given is "moments" (i.e. the plural), but my answer uses the word "moment's" (i.e. the singular possessive). In this context, I consider different word forms to be different words and think the apostrophe should be taken into account. Although I admit I have entered an inappropriate answer, the correct answer in other contestants' work should be "be there in a few moments" since the phrase "in moments" cannot be found (it is to be noted that my search was not particularly thorough) in any major dictionary including Oxford Learner's, Cambridge, Merriam-Webster, Collins, and Longman.
I share your opinion on tasks 15 and 17 and have nothing to add.
I also agree with you on the answers for task 26. I had the same train of thought as you and would like the organisers to show the logical fallacy that renders these answers incorrect if they choose not to accept them.

Nosūtīja Margus Smotrovs
For task 26 statement 4, I think there's an even better contradicting statement: "While antidepressants can play a role in supporting some young people’s mental health, it’s crucial that they are never seen as a substitute for fast access to talking therapies, especially for younger children."
Note that it says antidepressants should never be a substitute for talking therapies, which means they also shouldn't replace therapies in the specific case of the depression being severe.

Nosūtīja Aleksejs Gorlovičs
Totally agree with you about tasks 5-24, just by looking at the fact that everyone here is complaining about them, I think it should be obvious that they absolutely need to be checked manually by a real person. 
About statement 4 in task 26, I got that wrong myself as well (I answered "false"), although I can kinda see where their logic is coming from. The statement is "Antidepressants can replace talking therapies when anxiety or depression is severe". You got the depression part correct, however the paragraph doesn't mention anything about anxiety. But then again, you could argue that the statement says "anxiety or depression is severe", so if any of those is severe, the statement applies, thus making it false. Still, a confusing question nonetheless.
Atbildot uz Aleksejs Gorlovičs

Just an another reason to advocate against "not given" being an option in tests :D (In my opinion)

Nosūtīja Aleksejs Gorlovičs
At this point, it's not even about your English skills anymore, but about your ability to think logically in terms of "if A is B, and B is C, then A is C..." and so on. This question would be confusing even in my native language.

Nosūtīja Roberta Borisova
Regarding task 26, I have an idea that may be viewed as quite a far stretch. But seeing your post with extensive explanations here, I wanted to see your opinion on this :)

My question is about the 6th statement:
"The quality of children's mental wellbeing in the UK is the third best among developed countries."

Obviously, the exempt to look at for this one is the following one:
"A recent UNICEF survey ranked the UK in the bottom third of wealthy nations when it came to assessing the quality of children’s mental health."

At first glance one would say it is clear that this exempt directly contradicts the statement, mark it as "FALSE" and move on. However, my argument is that this sentence could imply that the study rated the UK's *ability to assess* the children's mental health, not that it rated the children's mental health itself. Therefore pushing one to answer "NOT GIVEN", taking in mind that, theoretically, it could be understood that there is no information about how good/bad the children's mental health is.

Would you say I'd be wrong for getting this idea from the exempt?
Atbildot uz Roberta Borisova

I would simply issue jail to anyone who dares to include "not mentioned" in their tests :D

On a more serious note, I believe that as this third option dismantles the simple true/false dichotomy, it also establishes this grey area where everything and nothing is simultaneously possible - Just like you effectively argued about an obviously FALSE statement instead being "not mentioned".

Honestly? I cannot really provide you a solid argument against what you said without going in the lines of "well on a scale from FALSE to NOT MENTIONED this statement leans more to FALSE" since this way of thinking does not allign with the black/white concept of the boolean True/False values. How can something be between False and Not mentioned? It should not be a spectrum.

"Not mentioned" is the chaotic evil character who just wants to monkey wrench the government and watch the world burn I guess :P

Nosūtīja Rina Balčūte
Hello!

I would like to say that I agree with almost all of the points you've mentioned before, especially the one about the usage of the apostrophe in task 24. I had zero points for that task, despite answering correctly.

Answers that, in my opinion, were wrongly marked:

1.) The statement in task 8 could also be "on the condition that you pay me back".
(Example: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/on%20%28the%29%20condition%20that)

2.) "Despite having a lot of problems" has the exact same meaning as "despite all her problems". (Task 15)

3.) "Are very grateful for" is the same as "are very grateful for all", the all is unnecessary and does not impact the original meaning of the statement. (Task 17)

4.) "Was set up only" is basically the same as "was set up", the meaning does not really change. (task 22)

Point 2.) and 3.) echo the same ideas that others have mentioned before me, but maybe if more participants voice their concerns, then the olympiad organization team might be more willing to review some of the tasks. I think it would be beneficial for all written answers (like the statement tasks) to be corrected and reviewed by a human. I understand that it would be very difficult and would take a lot of time, but at least then the results would be more accurate.
Atbildot uz Rina Balčūte

Cannot disagree with you here - unfortunately a real human checking for errors is irreplaceable. As tedious as it may turn out, we should not allow the olympiad to turn into a super bingo lottery.

Nosūtīja Vladislavs Babaņins
It will be better for the participants if the organizers check the work manually, and then there will be fewer complaints about the answers.